Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Words I’m Loving – Of Parenting & Letting Go

“Parents rarely let go of their children, so children let go of them. They move on. They move away. The moments that used to define them - a mother's approval, a father's nod - are covered by moments of their own accomplishments. It is not until much later, as the skin sags and the heart weakens, that children understand; their stories, and all their accomplishments, sit atop the stories of their mothers and fathers, stones upon stones, beneath the waters of their lives.”

Mitch Albom, The Five People You Meet in Heaven

The mother in me wants to remember these words forever. I’ve only spent a little over a year with my son but my attachment to him, in this short period of time, is stronger than so much I’ve spent an entire lifetime on. I shudder to think, what will be of this attachment, as I spend more years with him. How then can parents let go… but they must.. to keep this precious bond alive and going on for as long as we are here....

P.S. I shared some more of Mitch Albom’s awesome quotes on my Twitter stream, you can read them here.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails