It’s been a while I’ve been living away from mom and at regular intervals she ensures I receive my share of her bestest and my favouritest delights. Every winter her gajar ka halwa is a must. This winter though, she’s been on a long holiday and I haven’t had my share of mom’s halwa. No wonder then, whilst vegetable shopping at a nearby store, I spotted red carrots, the ones you need to make this heavenly Indian dessert, and the cravings appeared.
A quick phone call was all that was needed – God bless ‘em moms – excited she explained with careful step by step directions. How on earth could I ever ever go wrong after that :)The result was not exactly like mom’s, it can’t be, the love she makes it with was missing ;).. but must say it was very very close.
1kg red carrots
1/3 cup ghee (feel free to add more, it only enhances the taste ;D)
1 + 1/2 cups of milk
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons milk powder
1 teaspoon cardamom powder
Handful or more of mixed nuts
- Peel, wash and grate carrots
- Heat ghee in a pan, add cardamom powder followed by grated carrots. Stir on high heat until water is absorbed
- On medium flame, add milk, in 4-5 portions. Each time you add one portion of milk, let it get absorbed and then add the next one. Cook until most of the milk dries up
- Add sugar and milk powder and continue to stir until it mixes well for about 3-4 minutes
- Add dry fruits and that’s it!
- Now devour – hot hot! :D