Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Second Anniversary Special: Guest Post 1 by Deeba Rajpal of Passionate About Baking (Potato Mushroom Croquettes Recipe)

I got a mail from Komal the other day asking if I was OK to doing a guest post for her sweet blog Lifealicious which turns 2 on the 1st Of December. I said yes of course, but had to settle for a simple post since Komal has a vegetarian blog, and eggs don't fit in. Most of my baking has eggs, and I was too short on time to do an eggless bake today. My next best bet are these Potato Mushroom Croquettes that are a BIG HIT in my home, and I make them as a side, or even an after school snack for the kids at least once a week. Each time I make them, I think I'd better post them soon as Komal will love them as she always asks when I'm posting my next vegetarian dish!



When I see a tweet, message or comment from Komal { her call-sign for me is Dee}, I am reminded of a bubbly brook, enthusiastic and fun. She is always full of joy, tweets her emotions from time to time, and is forever asking me for veggie options when she has entertaining to do. This is a recipe I developed for an olive oil brand here, keeping in mind my fussy daughters abject dislike for mushrooms. I had to find a way to get this source of protein into her, in a way that she would enjoy! Needless to say, she loves them, laps them up, and constantly asks for more. Can't get better than this!! Small joy otherwise, but for me huge satisfaction.

A croquette is a small fried food roll containing usually as main ingredients mashed potatoes, and/or minced meat, vegetables, and soaked white bread, egg, onion, spices and herbs, wine, milk, or any of the combination thereof, sometimes with a filling, often encased in breadcrumbs. The croquette is usually shaped into a cylinder or disk, and then deep-fried. The croquette (from the French croquer, "to crunch") was a French invention that gained worldwide popularity, both as a delicacy and as a fast food.
I shallow fry my croquettes on low flame to give them a crisp outer crumb. I made my own breadcrumbs with whole wheat bread toasted on low till dry, and pulverised in the processor with dried herbs, garlic granules and a few chili flakes. I think this is a great healthy option for a side dish, a snack, a tiffin box filler ... and if you roll them into small balls and fry them - a great party appetizer served on cocktail sticks.
Happy 2nd blogiversary Komal ... it's wonderful to know you, virtually for now,
but I'm sure we'll meet next time you are in Delhi!

Potato & Mushroom Croquettes

Recipe by Deeba Rajpal
A fusion recipe I created packed with nutrition, the humble potato is taken to greater heights with the addition of mushrooms sautéed in olive oil. Flavoured delicately with fresh coriander and rosemary, the surprise element of lime juice adds a delicious zing.
Makes 15 cutlets
Ingredients
200gms button mushrooms, chopped very fine
4 cloves garlic, chopped very fine
1 tsp red chili flakes
2 tbsp fresh coriander leaves, chopped very fine
2 tbsp Borges Pure Olive Oil
5-6 medium potatoes, freshly boiled and warm {Use waxy new potatoes for good texture}
Juice of 1 lime
25-50gms mature or regular cheddar
1 slice of brown bread
Salt to taste
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
2 tbsp Borges Light Olive Oilto shallow fry

Method:
Place olive oil with garlic, chili flakes and fresh coriander in a pan, and simmer gently till garlic begins to sizzle.
Add the chopped mushrooms and sauté on medium-high heat till they give up all their moisture and are nice and dry.
Turn off heat and leave in pan.
Grate the potatoes in a large bowl. Grate the cheese in, and add with the cheese spread. Hold the slice of bread under running water for a few seconds, squeeze dry and add to the bowl. Add the mushrooms, lime juice and salt and mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning if required.
Divide into 15-16 portions and shape as desired. {You can make ahead and store them in the fridge at this stage for 1-2 days}
Dip each into breadcrumbs to coat all sides, and shallow fry on simmer in light olive oil or vegetable oil until crisp on both sides.
Serve with soup, freshly baked bread, tossed beans etc.
Suggestion – Make fun shapes for children like squares, diamonds, hearts etc. {You can even use a simple cookie cutter}

deeba

6 comments:

Deeba PAB said...

Happy blogiversary my sweet friend! Heres to many more delicious ones! HUGS

Nachiketa said...

Congratulations!!!!! Happy blogiversary :)

Cheers,
The Variable, Crazy Over Desserts - Nachiketa
Catch me on facebook @ Crazy Over Desserts

Komal-Nishka said...

Thank you very much Dee once again for participating

Thanks Nachiketa :)

priscilla said...

Thanks for this recipe Deeba, it looks easy peasy and any thing potato
I love.

Hey Komal, I think your 2nd anniversary ideas are GREAT! Congrats, you are doing a great job. I love spending time on Lifealicious.

Komal-Nishka said...

Thanks Pres for being such a wonderful wonderful supporter of the blog :)

Sanjeeta kk said...

Happy blog anniversary! Hope to hop in often to this lovely space. Best wishes.

Related Posts with Thumbnails