Saturday, May 29, 2010

Nutritious Broken Wheat aka Dalia with Vegetables

As I cooked the broken wheat in ghee the other day, an aroma filled the kitchen, an aroma that took me back home, to my childhood, an aroma that I loved, was so familiar with but one that I had forgotten in the busy humdrum of life.

Meetho dario (Sindhi for Sweet Dalia or Broken Wheat made in sugar) is one of my most favorite dishes and the way my mum makes it is simply Out-Of-This-World. While I’ve haven’t been successful in recreating her flavor or perfection, what I have got my hands on is a more healthy and nutritious form of this grain. 

And that is cooking it with vegetables – light on the stomach, easy to make, healthy and above all D E L I C I O U S :)

For the uninitiated ;) if you have question marks over what broken wheat is – read this to learn more.

Ingredients: (Serves 2)

1/2 cup broken wheat
1 tablespoon ghee
1/2 onion, chopped finely
1/4 cup of vegetables you have handy – I used carrots and beans only
1/2 tomato, chopped finely
1 cup water
Salt to taste

Directions:

  1. In a pressure cooker, mix broken wheat with 1 teaspoon ghee on medium flame until the grains change color to medium brown, stir continuously.
  2. In a separate pan, add onions to 1 teaspoon ghee, stir for a couple of minutes till translucent, add salt, veggies and tomatoes. Let it cook for a few more minutes and turn off the heat.
  3. Add semi cooked veggies to the broken wheat (once its color has changed) followed by salt and water. Check salt, close lid and cook for two whistles and a few more minutes on slow heat.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails