I’ve been meaning to write a post on this subject for a long time now but always gave up thinking oh well, aren’t there enough posts about it already?
The answer is yes, there are, but as I heard at our spiritual gathering this weekend, all spiritual books have one simple message, it’s just that sometimes someone identifies with something said in one book and may have missed the point in the other.
I would have never known how important this social media network was until I had a training programme on the importance of new social media tools and Twitter was one among them.
So why get on to Twitter? Who has the time to update so many freaking platforms? Aren’t they all the same anyway?
Well no, not this one. I am not an expert on social media so I’ll just simply compare Twitter to the most loved social media platform, Facebook.
Facebook gives you the opportunity to update your status, while Twitter is all about your status only that has to be restricted to 140 words. Twitter teaches you how to be concise.
Facebook is about friends for me. Twitter goes beyond that. The latter is about:
- My industry: I have the opportunity to follow and interact with PR gurus from around the world, local and international journalists and fellow industry professionals.
- Community: You can follow people from the city you reside in, your hometown, etc, to get an update of what’s happening, new deals, new hotels opening up, new places to hang out in, reviews etc.
Chances are your local community organises Twestivals to support an international or local cause. This is also an opportunity to meet fellow tweeples in person. Better than Facebook ya, where you keep in touch over the web, but shy away when you bump into them in real ;D
- Hobbies: If it’s cooking you like, sewing, singing or whatever it is, meet like minded people and learn and share
- News: or shall I say breaking news? When the Air France plane went missing, the news was all over Twitter much before any news sites wrote about it. One can also follow your local media on Twitter and have brief updates shown on your profile on what’s going on
- Celebrities: Where else in the world can you get to know first hand what they’re up to from the horses mouth and probably even interact with some. They’ll even clarify rumours around their life on Twitter
Additionally, if you’re blogging, it gives you a whole new audience, a new platform to promote it.
Businesses have realised its importance and have a presence there too. They constantly update their profiles with special deals, promotions, contests and what not. If you’ve bought something and are not happy with it, get on to Twitter and look out for them. If they’re there, tweet them about it and chances are you’ll be heard. If you aren’t, at least hundreds of other people will now be aware of their lack of service or vice versa.
I can go on and on but the point is are you getting convinced about it and thinking of getting on to Twitter after reading all this :D?
I hope you do for it will open a whole new world for you.
If you don’t, well at least now you have a better idea of what Twitter is about and can still stay away from it ;D
If you’re on there already, let me know if Twitter rocks for you or not?
PS: I totally love FB and the comparison is only to help understand that if you have an FB account, it does not mean you can’t be on Twitter :) and how Twitter has unique advantages as a social media tool.